Interestingly, the Holy Writs reveals that the power to choose is in the hands of everyone, as it says, “This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob”. Deuteronomy 30:19-20, NIV.
It will be to your good, if you could discover who you are in this life, instead of joining the rat race that many people are occupied with.
Self discovery is the greatest gift that you can give yourself, because, it will help you to stand out from the crowd: it will do so many good things for you.
What you need to do to discover yourself
Without gainsaying, the first thing that will help you the most is your relationship with God: you can, however, not work with God unless you are born again, which means that, you must accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.
This will help you to know what you are created to do, it will give you a clue into your purposes on earth. It will, also, infuse (in you) the power that you need to pursue and achieve your purposes.
According to Stefani Beckerman, in some 6 Tips To Find Yourself, below are things that could help you be on the right track of self discovery:
1. Accept yourself above all else – resolving to make peace with who you are so that you can start showing up for the world.
2. Perfect is not real – someone trying to be perfect is hard to get close to because it’s not realistic. So, just relax.
3. Accept everything – dropping the expectations of what you want, how you think someone should behave, and the order in which things need to happen.
4. Be selfish – finding the balance between 50% selflessness, and 50% selfishness. Take your “me” time, know when you need it, and learn how to give it to yourself. Figure out what energizes you, what makes you happy, and how you connect to yourself.
5. Use everyone else as a mirror – any quality which you are attracted to, or unattracted to.
6. Connect to your core – being your stabilizer: physically, emotionally, and mentally. When you feel off in a work out, or in your day, or notice a negative thought or insecurity arise, engage your belly. Draw your stomach in, and up – hold it, then take some deep breathes and you will immediately center yourself in a powerful way.
In addition to the 6 Tips above
You must ensure that your natural skills and talents are brushed up with rigorous training, and you must take self development as a must.
We, also, talked about the need and importance of mentorship in You don’t have to follow protocols to fulfill purpose. Get a mentor to guide you in selecting a career and/or profession to pursue, although, parents, too, can help their children with this.
However, in the case where a child is grown up but is having difficulty selecting a career to pursue (due to the inability of his/her parents to help), then, a mentor would be the best shot for such person.
There is, also, a need to undergo suitable academic learning. This helps to expose the child to the academic knowledge that will help him/her to leverage on his/her natural skills – with common sense.
The best gifts you could give yourself, your generation
Discovering yourself is the best gift that you could give to yourself (by it, you will be fulfilled, once you could lay hold on what you are created for), and it is what your generation needs from you.
Your generation, including those ahead and those coming behind – need you to discover yourself, so that you can help them to solve some problems that you, alone, could solve.
According to John C. Maxwell, ‘every leader finds a time for his responsibility. There is, always, a time for leadership to take shape, and every leader got his/her own time’.
Questions you must answer
What are you doing now that could help you to discover yourself?
Which association do you keep that is distracting you from being all that God wants you to be?
How do you invest in yourself and spend your time?
What passion do you fan to flame in yourself?
Are you building your skills and talents?
Do you always seek for your personal development?
Are you entrusting your passion, goals, desires, and aspirations unto God?
Answer those questions, truthfully, and make positive changes where your answers are negative. Also, uphold those answers that are positive to some of the questions above.
They are for your own good.
May God help you, as you allow him to guide you through life, in Jesus name.
 Stefani, Beckerman, 6 Tips To Find Yourself.
 John C. Maxwell, Be a people person, Pg78.